NSH

oc cpu - ram

18 posts in this topic

Hello there. Im wondering if my weak i5 750 @2.66 after an overclock will increase its performance avoiding bottleneck on further vga upgrade. I explain myself, im running squad on 6gb ram - gtx750ti 2gb- i5 750 stock clock.

My plan is to have 8gb 1600, cpu oc @ 3.8\3.9 with CM212 evo, and a new vga (advices for an appropriate one, will be appreciated). And after all will it be enough to running squad on med settings?

Thank you for the time spent on this topic, im not a mothertongue, a computer technician neither. I know the recommended requirements, im asking for advices.

Any OC on that CPU should help. More than often ram speed does not have significant perfomance impact in games.

But hey, if that was my rig, i would be squeezing every tiny bit of extra performance out of it, think i would torture it a bit to.

chronic and NSH like this

thought my ram wasnt enough. But il take them too.

thats what im supposed to do. according to oc clocks, any suggestions about bottleneck ,like with one gtx 900 series?

i hate bottleneck

did you upgrade your cooler?
Ocing your CPU with stock cooling isn't going to get you much more performance imo, maybe 3-5 FPS at the cost of a shorter cpu life

I have found that there's indeed less texture popping (or at least less frequent and/or faster...) when I run my stock RAM overclocked at 1866MHz (which would only be logical...) since the remaining vram is being stored in my memory.

I would have thought 3.8/3.9 would be fine on Med settings, as for your GPU buy the best you can I think a 960 4GB would be OK for stable on med/hi I have a 970 on epic and I don't ever notice lag but I don't know my FPS either.  VRAM does seem important for Squad so a 4GB version if possible.

I have a 212Evo you'll hjave fun fitting that - but it works very well.

NSH likes this

I've got a i7 920 2.67 ghz.  Recently upgraded to 12 gig's of RAM, bought a 212Evo and Overclocked to 4ghz.  The difference in gaming was incredible.  Not sure if you'd bottleneck a 970, but you'd always have that 970 to put into a newer computer when you decide to upgrade your cpu/mobo.  I personally upgraded my 650 ti boost sc to a used 670 I bought off kijiji for $140 and noticed wonderful fps gains.  OVerall, I'm still not running squad as well as I do other games but my hope is the dev's work on the animations and other performance updates come through big time, an unreal engine update should be on the way to help performance as well.  For me to run the Witcher on high/ultra settings over 60 fps [With no AA/godrays and expensive post processing effects] and run squad at half the FPS is truly annoying.

I would have thought 3.8/3.9 would be fine on Med settings, as for your GPU buy the best you can I think a 960 4GB would be OK for stable on med/hi I have a 970 on epic and I don't ever notice lag but I don't know my FPS either.  VRAM does seem important for Squad so a 4GB version if possible.

I have a 212Evo you'll hjave fun fitting that - but it works very well.

4 gig's Vram shouldn't be necessary.  2 gigs SHOULD run the game at 60 fps, they need to optimize their shit.  Textures/Shading/Polygons/Animations, but unfortunately a lot of it is due to the current build of Unreal Engine 4 and not the Dev's fault.  It's not really the DEV's fault anyway, the game is early access and a lot of optimizing isn't really worth putting much time into until they've implemented most or all of their features.  If they optimize everything as they go by the time the projects finished they'll probably have to re-optimized their optimizations and it's a lot of time wasted.  

I like to stick to 40/50 man servers in squad for now and I generally run around a fairly stable 60fps.

Short answer, yes an overclock will help you.  

Make sure you do your research before overclocking.  Run your prime95 tests to ensure stability and get a CPU temperature monitor. [Core temp is a good one].  

Good luck!

NSH likes this

On the subject of ram, has anyone found using a higher clocked ram, DDR3 1866 mhz or more, help increase the minimum FPS?

You might see slight performance gains.   Depends on the application.  

check out this video for some quick info.  skip to about 1:45

I have 20-40 FPS at full server.

Core i3-550 overclocked to 4.34 Ghz.

8Gb RAM

ASUS STRIX GTX950 2GB

a dual core has a lot of work on this game, my cpu s already gasping

Stay off severs with over 40 people and youll get a big fps jump.  Less than 30 per server even better!!!!!!!!!!!

of course, the gameplay on -50p is quite good. but i want to increase my settings ( i have all on low ) maybe afterwards play on 70p server without problems. But first i d like to have the same firing range fps rating on servers. That s why im interested on 8 gb of ram and a solid oc

You might see slight performance gains.   Depends on the application.  

check out this video for some quick info.  skip to about 1:45

no video in there

CPU overclocking does help, but not by amazing margins.  4790k stock vs 4790k HT-off @ 4.9GHz was giving like 10-15fps more for me and that's right on the edge of too much voltage and still slightly unstable for me.

RAM, makes absolutely no difference for me and only shows up in synthetic tests, also by small margins.

NSH likes this

i ve read on many forums that the i5 750 has good potential with a quite balanced oc. I dont understand why push an i7 cpu

i ll add 2gb just for increase the memory capability of my pc.  I do believe +12gb of ram are useless ( if im wrong explain me please ). 8gb for me are enough

Getting an ssd might help you with loading of textures etc so it'll look nicer. But it's a small gain, but the ssd's are getting cheaper now a days ☺

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead