Kreamy

Can We Just Grow Some Balls???

29 posts in this topic

A few times while I was a SL I have had one squad mate who is afraid to assault an area because he may die :(.  The most recent occurrence was we were trying to get to the next objective and there were three routes:

1. Along a ridge line that had an enemy squad encamped

2. Cross open terrain where the enemy had full fire coverage

3. Detour for the next 10 minutes to avoid everything

I chose option 1 and put a FOB down before pushing.  It took about 5 minutes and probably 8-12 tickets (Our medics were on point), but we cleared the ridge and made it to the cap point.  The entire time, however, I had one guy (not naming any names) who every 40 seconds whined about how it was a bad idea.

My point is that if that Balless Wonder was in charge of the invasion of Iwo Jima, the Marines would have spent 7 seconds on the beaches, got back in their landing craft, and went to Australia to let someone else fight the war.  Losses are part of the game, so grow a pair and move forward!

Kick his ass and put him in a designated "my little pony" squad.

The only two reasons one should not be able to move is if he or she is wounded, and or his balls are too big for him to properly lift his feet up.

Nice read and post. Yes I feel that negative thinking or 'tunnel vision' is probably the biggest enemy as a Squad leader!.

There is always someone complaining about something but it can infect anyone really it's a mental state I believe.

That affects the team negatively as well and the Squad. So yes communication is crucial!

Making a joke helps ease of mind I try to respect everyone even if it's my worst enemy in the field shooting at me.

I think in heavy war situations. Like Iwo. Normandy it were ordinary men that lead the attack when all their superiors had fallen and even in those times I believe men mustered the will to be positive and continue upwards. It's the probably one of the hardest things to do while under fire from a MG42s, under sniper fire and in a minefield surrounded by barbwire! ;)

Kreamy likes this

That's why squad leading is a whole other level of the game that only SLs can appreciate. Your ability to shoot bad guys and develop tactical options is secondary to your ability to manage your squad and your communication with the other squads.

You can have the best plan in the world, but it don't mean squat if you can't get your team to execute.

smokyhook, gunbattle, Kreamy and 1 other like this

So you lost 8-12 for a ridge Did you get the cap or just get to it.

Both tactics have merit, don't think you should berate someone for trying to save tickets.More congratulation that he's one of the few try to minimise loses.

So you lost 8-12 for a ridge Did you get the cap or just get to it.

Both tactics have merit, don't think you should berate someone for trying to save tickets.More congratulation that he's one of the few try to minimise loses.

Valid point.  We did get the cap and proceeded to clean house after that.  During that assault, I was willing to spend no more than 20 tickets to get the cap, seeing as the enemy would lose 10 for losing the cap, plus any they lost from us killing them.  To me the numbers worked out.

I did tell him he could make his own squad or join a different one.  I am all for suggestions, but I felt that his negativity was hindering our advance seeing as the other 7 guys in my squad were gaining ground along the ridge.

BEARman, Blackout330 and Smee like this

I think these kind of arguments might flare a bit easily atm. because there is so mixed player population playing atm. Lots of new players from let say casual games and other more serious ones and some old for squad and people also who are old PR player, but new to SQD, put in to the same team and voip enabled in the relatively free world. One thinks another is might be newb and vice versa etc. Who knows what were situation here. This were one point should be noted I think.

Also to be noted that old AAS ruleset i SQD alpha versions, were more freerun (teamdeathmatch) than the one that is now implemented in the newest patch, where the importance of CPs is increased (bleeding) some notches according to Z-Trooper.

You should arrested that soldier & found him guilty of cowardly conduct,the punishment is...Death by firing squad,lol!..joke,ok No TK'ing allowed ere,so you had 2 options....

1.Kick him from your Squad

2.Don't Kick & let him do what he pleases

Actually there's more....

3.Hold his hand into battle...

Actually doesn't this dude knows that,when killed he can respawn? ,I'm alive i tell ya!. ;-)

gunbattle and Altraum like this

Last I checked my balls were still there....still big...still get in the way sometimes...

I think these kind of arguments might flare a bit easily atm. because there is so mixed player population playing atm. Lots of new players from let say casual games and other more serious ones and some old for squad and people also who are old PR player, but new to SQD, put in to the same team and voip enabled in the relatively free world. One thinks another is might be newb and vice versa etc. Who knows what were situation here. This were one point should be noted I think.

Also to be noted that old AAS ruleset i SQD alpha versions, were more freerun (teamdeathmatch) than the one that is now implemented in the newest patch, where the importance of CPs is increased (bleeding) some notches according to Z-Trooper.

They would lose 20 tickets for the cap loss. And it's not just according to Z. It can be seen across the game how the flags are much more important now.

WARti0k0ne -BG- and Psyrus like this

I did tell him he could make his own squad or join a different one.  I am all for suggestions, but I felt that his negativity was hindering our advance seeing as the other 7 guys in my squad were gaining ground along the ridge.

Since you already gave him the option, and he kept on, kick him.

It's your squad, if he doesn't play with the squad and/or disrupts the squad or your enjoyment of SLing, it's an easy choice. It's a video game, and ppl take that kick button or being kicked way to serious.

I suck at SLing, but I'm forced to do it sometimes when noone else steps up. That doesn't mean that I have to endure ppl that clearly want to do things differentely. There is absolutely no reason that they should be in the squad, so I ask them to leave or kick them. Then they can create their own squad, and all parties should be happy. No drama.

They would lose 20 tickets for the cap loss. And it's not just according to Z. It can be seen across the game how the flags are much more important now.

Good, the importance of CPs felt nonexistent before, compared to just regular camp&grind play.

Psyrus likes this

Nope they're not. There are points where litterally you don't need to assault the fucking points but lure out the other team. In Chora most of the time the US guys fortify Lilac in such a way that you're sure to lose at least 20 if not much more for a standard assault. And this with only a squad defending, god forbid two squads are guarding it. 

I personally have witnessed very nice redoubts builts around Lilac or River Bend that nullify any "winning by the numbers". And as we cannot pick up kits no matter how many medics you have, you're going to lose a great deal of them only to actually neutralize a cap. The flags, because of that have become even less appealing for a map like Chora. With relatively balanced teams, the only thing that will matter will be combat attrition rather than objective attrition. And attrition is usually made at the expense of the squads that aren't in the CAP but that attack your points. In movement, solid defensive squads have been annihilated with little effort. All it takes is just guys that know their aim. And that's why I don't blame people that want to actually flank and try to watch the AO fully before making a move.

If you want to go Leroy Jekins on a super CAP, you better be damn sure of your squad, because the moment you assault that CAP and that the whole squad is executed because of your "balls" believe me the psychological impact of your failed Light Brigade charge, will cause a lot more damage.

It takes real thinking when assaulting a fortified compound without vantage points. The worst part is that once inside most of you "steely balls" SL's start your Minecraft non-sense. The people who win most of the time are those who keep pushing.

Nope they're not. There are points where litterally you don't need to assault the fucking points but lure out the other team. In Chora most of the time the US guys fortify Lilac in such a way that you're sure to lose at least 20 if not much more for a standard assault. And this with only a squad defending, god forbid two squads are guarding it. 

I personally have witnessed very nice redoubts builts around Lilac or River Bend that nullify any "winning by the numbers". And as we cannot pick up kits no matter how many medics you have, you're going to lose a great deal of them only to actually neutralize a cap. The flags, because of that have become even less appealing for a map like Chora. With relatively balanced teams, the only thing that will matter will be combat attrition rather than objective attrition. And attrition is usually made at the expense of the squads that aren't in the CAP but that attack your points. In movement, solid defensive squads have been annihilated with little effort. All it takes is just guys that know their aim. And that's why I don't blame people that want to actually flank and try to watch the AO fully before making a move.

If you want to go Leroy Jekins on a super CAP, you better be damn sure of your squad, because the moment you assault that CAP and that the whole squad is executed because of your "balls" believe me the psychological impact of your failed Light Brigade charge, will cause a lot more damage.

It takes real thinking when assaulting a fortified compound without vantage points. The worst part is that once inside most of you "steely balls" SL's start your Minecraft non-sense. The people who win most of the time are those who keep pushing.

Well I'm sorry that you haven't been exposed to decent gameplay. What servers are you playing on?

Jumping up and down about super FOB's on flags being game winners doesn't mean anything in a post. It just shows the experience of playing at sub-par standards.

I (and all the other top squad leaders in the game) would take attacking a super FOB on a flag over an active, aggressive defence any day of the week.

The point about Chora. Taking both Lilac and Riverside would initiate a 6 ticket-per-minute bleed. So you can afford to throw tickets at it (if you are struggling).

The ticket bleed in 4.0 is driving people towards objectives more than 3.0 - 3.9 builds. No doubt you still see squads wandering around due to lack of knowledge/experience, but this must be down to being new to the game. But the TDM aspect of the game has been greatly reduced. Has it disappeared? No, because you will always need to neutralise contacts to progress, but you aren't getting pointless exchanges off in the middle of nowhere now.

Kreamy likes this

Well I'm sorry that you haven't been exposed to decent gameplay. What servers are you playing on?

Jumping up and down about super FOB's on flags being game winners doesn't mean anything in a post. It just shows the experience of playing at sub-par standards.

I (and all the other top squad leaders in the game) would take attacking a super FOB on a flag over an active, aggressive defence any day of the week.

The point about Chora. Taking both Lilac and Riverside would initiate a 6 ticket-per-minute bleed. So you can afford to throw tickets at it (if you are struggling).

The ticket bleed in 4.0 is driving people towards objectives more than 3.0 - 3.9 builds. No doubt you still see squads wandering around due to lack of knowledge/experience, but this must be down to being new to the game. But the TDM aspect of the game has been greatly reduced. Has it disappeared? No, because you will always need to neutralise contacts to progress, but you aren't getting pointless exchanges off in the middle of nowhere now.

Sub-par? Heheeheheheheh. The fact that a fortified FOB takes a lot to get soften and taken down, is nothing about "sub-par" game play, it's actually the closest to RL because we can't destroy the buildings so far. As for I "sucking", because let's face it, that's the core of the argument, well I'd say that you're far from the truth. I play usually on all Euro servers (including the two(?) Redcoats and the 8mm german server. And have usually a rather Over-par K/D.

In many aspects the crux of the matter is the very badly implemented game systems in AAS, which allows for such insanity as the "mass-cap". Three squads camping outside of Lilac, hugging the mud walls without getting in and still "taking" the point. It's absurd. No point should be neutralized or taken IF there's enemy inside. Yet that's not what happens. 

Usually they're split (River Bend and Lilac), but when they aren't, 6 ticks per minute isn't anything to lose your head for. However cutting squads down should allow a premium greater than the handful of tickets the other side loses. 

I've seen games where the KD ratio was totally and utterly lopsided, notably a week ago we lost Fool's Road with a total KD of 200/125 and the other squad was at 95/185 and the better fighting team loses by 100 tickets. Sorry man, this is a war game, war is not capture the Flag get 20 ticket bonus. We're not securizing whole Industrial bassins with millions of people which would hurt the OPFOR, we're getting some ridges where there are mainly rocks and mud. There's NOTHING that Justifies the massive premium you can have by taking 4 flags. Sometimes those flags are taken by sheer luck. Seen many Kohat maps where there's almost no contact and suddenly the US is threatening River Bend or Sorozai (spelling). ...no one was guarding them so the US just cleared the sweeped the flags. You look up the tick count and see that you have lost like 20 guys  in combat the rest is Flags taken. You look at your "alleged" kill count and you can see that the total K/D ratio should be at least 2/1. 

That's simply not possible to lose a game, because the guys took a couple of hills while the bulk of their troops are getting slaughtered. And don't get me started on the "but they got your log train Ha!". 

Especially in theoretically Symetrical battles like Chora AAS where the actual goal makes no sense. Basically we've been beaten a couple of times while the US team couldn't move a finger out of their compounds, yet as they had the two aforementionned FOB's we'd lose ticks.

So the very goal of the operation, which should be denying movement to the OPFOR is not fulfilled, yet somehow the OPFOR still loses. It's litterally bullshit. because it's not like RO where the AO is cut short.. In Squad you can go behind enemy lines, and that's where the whole AAS idea is nullified. This many "gamers" have understood quite well. So yeah basically they haul ass to the CAP's and camp there as much as they can. 

As for getting random fights...well tough luck, that's the whole deal with a war (especially a symetrical one) you have to maintain a frontline, now with the AAS system, there's no logic behind it. It's just a couple of swarm points without relevance. You bring meat shields, take those points you probably have won the game. Yay for the whole "reality" aspect.

Sub-par? Heheeheheheheh. The fact that a fortified FOB takes a lot to get soften and taken down, is nothing about "sub-par" game play, it's actually the closest to RL because we can't destroy the buildings so far. As for I "sucking", because let's face it, that's the core of the argument, well I'd say that you're far from the truth. I play usually on all Euro servers (including the two(?) Redcoats and the 8mm german server. And have usually a rather Over-par K/D.

In many aspects the crux of the matter is the very badly implemented game systems in AAS, which allows for such insanity as the "mass-cap". Three squads camping outside of Lilac, hugging the mud walls without getting in and still "taking" the point. It's absurd. No point should be neutralized or taken IF there's enemy inside. Yet that's not what happens. 

Usually they're split (River Bend and Lilac), but when they aren't, 6 ticks per minute isn't anything to lose your head for. However cutting squads down should allow a premium greater than the handful of tickets the other side loses. 

I've seen games where the KD ratio was totally and utterly lopsided, notably a week ago we lost Fool's Road with a total KD of 200/125 and the other squad was at 95/185 and the better fighting team loses by 100 tickets. Sorry man, this is a war game, war is not capture the Flag get 20 ticket bonus. We're not securizing whole Industrial bassins with millions of people which would hurt the OPFOR, we're getting some ridges where there are mainly rocks and mud. There's NOTHING that Justifies the massive premium you can have by taking 4 flags. Sometimes those flags are taken by sheer luck. Seen many Kohat maps where there's almost no contact and suddenly the US is threatening River Bend or Sorozai (spelling). ...no one was guarding them so the US just cleared the sweeped the flags. You look up the tick count and see that you have lost like 20 guys  in combat the rest is Flags taken. You look at your "alleged" kill count and you can see that the total K/D ratio should be at least 2/1. 

That's simply not possible to lose a game, because the guys took a couple of hills while the bulk of their troops are getting slaughtered. And don't get me started on the "but they got your log train Ha!". 

Especially in theoretically Symetrical battles like Chora AAS where the actual goal makes no sense. Basically we've been beaten a couple of times while the US team couldn't move a finger out of their compounds, yet as they had the two aforementionned FOB's we'd lose ticks.

So the very goal of the operation, which should be denying movement to the OPFOR is not fulfilled, yet somehow the OPFOR still loses. It's litterally bullshit. because it's not like RO where the AO is cut short.. In Squad you can go behind enemy lines, and that's where the whole AAS idea is nullified. This many "gamers" have understood quite well. So yeah basically they haul ass to the CAP's and camp there as much as they can. 

As for getting random fights...well tough luck, that's the whole deal with a war (especially a symetrical one) you have to maintain a frontline, now with the AAS system, there's no logic behind it. It's just a couple of swarm points without relevance. You bring meat shields, take those points you probably have won the game. Yay for the whole "reality" aspect.

I'm sorry, I didn't mention anything about you "sucking". I said the standard of gameplay you have been having.

While you raise some good points, they lack any concrete reasoning. 

War and battles, from the dawn of time, favour the side who control the territory. The territory opens up supply chains, allows bolder manoeuvres and gives tactical advantage. The idea behind AAS is to simulate the push to control territory, advancing and securing the various areas or "objectives".

I think you're looking at the physical objectives too much. No, Lilac or Riverside would not offer major military advantage. They are symbolic of points a force would need to clear and secure before progressing.

Going to the K/D comment, you're right, a force that killed the most of their opposition would have the advantage, no argument there. But, this is a game. So, if a team plays the game objectives better than the other, yes, they should win. As they are hitting the games objectives better. 

TDM was invented to simulate the K/D side of warfare. And Squad doesn't have that. Going onto TDM, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I appreciate the kill side of the game becuase quote:

"you will always need to neutralise contacts to progress"

A lot of your concerns are well placed, such as the capturing of objectives from outside the compound. Which I agree on. But the majority of your points are arguments with yourself as I haven't indicated/stated the points you've raised.

What I will stand by is, is the controlling of various points of the map should give and advantage. In whatever form they are. As I said previously, territory rules all in combat. Hence why, throughout war in all of history, the armies vie  for control of specific pieces of land. 

Edit: In my time, I have never seen a team build a super FOB on a red coat server. 

On 3/2/2016 at 11:42 AM, Horizon said:

Kick his ass and put him in a designated "my little pony" squad.

The only two reasons one should not be able to move is if he or she is wounded, and or his balls are too big for him to properly lift his feet up.

You Sir, just inspired a new Company Policy, and I know you think I am joking, but here at Northwest Gamers we have zero tolerance for Balless Bronies who complain about orders, or hesitate to follow them.

The new rule-set is Titled, "The Pony Policy", and is effective immediately.

+1 to you.

Blitza:

1.But we're not controlling territory. We're controlling relatively isolated terrain features. In Logar, District center, is the basic shit sammich that would cost hours to win and that would basically bring nothing on the table. Curtailing District Center and fire control it should be the emphasis from a military stand point. Yet it's the control of the damn compounds that is awarded with a premium. From a military standpoint especially as "regulars" are battling a militia force over there, it doesn't. Make. Sense.

Militia/Taliban would dance over our heads left and right, but yeah we got those compounds and are literally surrounded. Yay for AAS. Yay for 20 ticks. Best part of it? We can get back-capped if they're enough Turdistanis in the "cap-zone". Yeah totally like Kahler VPB in Wanat or Hill 3234.  I mean Totally.

2. It's not about TDM, but about aggressiveness on "contact", I've seen some really shitty decisions on personal level paying dividends. IRL that would have cost a lot of the people under my leadership their limbs, yet in Squad, I just charged on, AK74 in hand and voilà 5/6 US soldiers dead in the maze. Same squad that took the CAP got annihilated by a single guy. This NEVER happens IRL, and it's not communication or such garbage. It's the way the game is built. They cap the point do not secure it. It's fucked up. That's MOUT 101.

To PR, Squad so far has become what  street brawl is to boxing. I understand this is Alpha and all. But the very fact some gameplay decisions were made while both sides can't have proper responses to the new reality that should make a lot of you think again. We're going the BF road here. We're having nice features and a nice dose or "realism" only to let all down when it counts the most.

3. It's not about war and battles. We're only a spit away from the enemy most of the time, especially for game that comes from "Project Reality". I can understand your logic in Muttrah, or Burning Sands or Black Gold which feel infinitely bigger than most of the maps we play so far. But in Chora? We're into platoon level infantry combat. AAS should revolve around denying the opposing team movement and making one giant killzone, not taking random buildings and calling them capture points. Most of the "capture" points in IRL are usually fortified positions which allow fire control. In Squad you have basically only few such features. Hell Fortress in Fool's road is viable because of the tunnels, otherwise it's the single most handicapped point to defend. It's a joke really to call it a fortress from a military standpoint.

4. Most of my arguments are implicit. The game is devised in such way that we went from a kill-house game to CTF airsoft game. The "objectives" don't make any sense. Yeah we got four houses in the middle of nowhere but we can't move around to resupply or support those houses. Yesterday night we were planing IED spots with my brother in Fool's road. Holly Hell, there are serious choke points for vehicles in there. But it would be for nothing. You know "objectives"...

And I'm not "looking at physical objectives too much". They're the only thing to look at. There are many ways to win on AAS, only one has a huge advantage in game and with very little effort or actual soldiering skill. It doesn't even have some of the redeeming qualities of RO. Yet it is the best game of the lot. No questions asked. And it's only on Alpha stage.

Might be left wing, they are against everything an want to be cuddled in cotton wool, its probably racist to shoot Ragheads Taliban, or against violence and arms. hang em.

PinguThePenguin likes this

I agree, whenever I'm SL I like to use a WW2 German tactic when attacking it works as follows.

Two Auto-Rifleman will position themselves in a secure area with a line of sight on what we want to attack, a medic will be stationed with them in case they get hit.

The rest of the team, me a medic and a group of rifleman will prepare to assault, once everyone's ready my team will assault whilst the support team lays down suppressing fire.

Most of the time it will work, except when people don't rush because they don't want to die, a rifleman with a optic will stay back and shoot without letting me know, all that and when people refuse to take kits that are necessary "because they're not good with it" usually people with optics will use that excuse.

People do need to harden the fuck up.