Merlin

Forum Upgrade to IPB4

64 posts in this topic

As a general notice we've upgraded our forums to IPB4 (which should be pretty hard to miss!) to deal with the sharp increase in spam bot attacks on the forum we've been experiencing recently.

Getting these forums on the latest version of IP Board comes as part of our plan for making these forums a more permanent place for the community built around Squad to thrive and grow for years to come. We had planned to upgrade regardless, but have had to advance our schedule to upgrade a bit faster than we intended to. In addition to this upgrade, we will soon be working on adding a more permanent skin, as well as delivering the forum side of our fundraising backer deliverables (backer & founder tags).

On a related note, we'd like to post the design our very own Chuc has created and get some community feedback on it. Feel free to comment below:

If you would like to try your hand at a template (or even make one in IPB4), we welcome it and if we like it we may even reach out to you about using it.

forums_design_v1.jpg

forums_design_threadpost_light_v1.jpg

Offworld Out...

scubbo, Pyle_DK, Evad422 and 17 others like this

5 minutes ago, arbopa said:

that is far better that this default thing we are looking at... not a fan.

Me neither. I want an actual squad theme that is as nice as the old one. But maybe there is a lot of work involved never done css or html for something this advanced, and certainly not javascript(I know java but not javascript).

edit:

would be nice if the theme on the site matched the theme in the game eh? Maybe some yellow? Unless this is an accidental hint that the yellow we've seen for ages is being phased out for blue instead? I don't think I'd mind too much.

not even kidding this whiteness hurts my eyes more than my own skin. (I have a perfect basement tan and am super proud of it.)

JK I am not that bad, I go outside when it's -15C with a t-shirt and a pair of pajamas when I take out the garbage so I don't get too pasty. I am super cool(but not cold?) But I do play in a completely dark room and it legit is giving me a headache.

Raklödder likes this

is there an option for different themes and user's be able to pick one in this content management system? this it way too bright for me.  I know you probably don't have any now but is the functionality there for that option?

I like the darker better. I also think that gold, black, and white is a super winning combination. I don't know that the blue really fits in there.

Chuc's take reminds me of the old Xfire forums.

I also dislike the current scheme, looking forward to any changes.

Actually, I just noticed something, the screenshots of chuc's work have a donor, backer, and founder tag displayed under some of the names, I assume the backer tag is for those who bought the game after or during the kickstarter as one of the lower tiered packages? When can we expect those badges back up again? And the backer badge seems new too.

edit:

There also still isn't a way to get rid of the "Where did you hear about us?:" under our profile name in the general forum. I don't mind that info being available but I would like to get rid of it to reduce clutter.

Please note, I definitely did make myself a custom gif userpic just because this forum supports them now. Lovin it.