Merlin

Forum Upgrade to IPB4

64 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Aello said:

So i'm the only one that liked the old theme? wow

The one in the pic looks like a updated version of the one PR has. nice

I loved the old theme with the gray & yellow, i think it worked out really well. This one is okay layout wise but i am not digging the color combo of white and blue. But i'm sure that will change.

8 hours ago, Horizon said:

So uh, since I have nothing to do with my life I decided to also make a little concept. I have added a lot of stuff in that you might not like or do like, I personally believe that the homepage of a forum should be something like a dashboard whilst at the same time easy to oversee, and from this point of view i've created this. You might find it shit, but atleast the devs will know what not to do a litle better than.

Try and give some constructive feedback one different points. This is the first concept and i'll definitely be changing it in the future for a bit. But for now i'm done with it.

sXbfBLv.jpg?1

cya

IMO - Ditch the three content blocks below the latest announcement part (feb update text) or move them to the bottom since it's secondary content.  Maybe split that top to a two column for the most recent announcement & progress update so they don't need anything complicated.  Keep the dark grey & yellow table headers.  Swap out the medium and light gray cells so the text is a dark color -- it's too low contrast and I've never liked black/dark themed forums.  Have username links in latest post column be Squad yellow or shade of.

If there were other content at the top I would make it something more engaging.  Latest image,  most liked post of the week  or even (if someone wants to do some fun coding ) Troll of the Month -- the person who posts in the most topics with the fewest words.

14 minutes ago, Dankicity said:

IMO - Ditch the three content blocks below the latest announcement part (feb update text) or move them to the bottom since it's secondary content.  Maybe split that top to a two column for the most recent announcement & progress update so they don't need anything complicated.  Keep the dark grey & yellow table headers.  Swap out the medium and light gray cells so the text is a dark color -- it's too low contrast and I've never liked black/dark themed forums.  Have username links in latest post column be Squad yellow or shade of.

If there were other content at the top I would make it something more engaging.  Latest image,  most liked post of the week  or even (if someone wants to do some fun coding ) Troll of the Month -- the person who posts in the most topics with the fewest words.

Some good ideas yes, i'll work this in tomorrow. 

I prefer Chuc's or Horizon's design over this default one, the home page (joinsquad.com) where all the updates are posted could really use a redesign as well, it's so high contrast it really hurts to read (pitch black background and really white text).

4 hours ago, MauserGDog said:

Isn't white background and black text the hardest format on the human eye?

New theme please!

REALLY? Maybe I should switch eclipse to the dark setting then, programming java in an environment where my retinae are being destroyed is definitely a no-fly-zone with me. I'll have to change EVERYTHING now

A dark background with white text is the most exhausting thing for the eye there could possibly be on a screen, as your eye will settle for the big dark areas and the small bright spots will stress it out after a short amount of time.

The most optimal thing for your eyes would be a middle-light color background with dark text or you'd have to set your screen to be not too bright (200 lumen or so max).

Main focus points when choosing a color scheme for a website: Contrast, Complementation, Color Variety (Triadic Scheme or Compound Scheme, or even Analogous).

banOkay and WarFox89 like this

wow looks cool ! :) 

why is emoticons not working ? 

P.S- save our eyes. We need dark theme ASAP.

53 minutes ago, invisible.nin/SINE said:

A dark background with white text is the most exhausting thing for the eye there could possibly be on a screen, as your eye will settle for the big dark areas and the small bright spots will stress it out after a short amount of time.

The most optimal thing for your eyes would be a middle-light color background with dark text or you'd have to set your screen to be not too bright (200 lumen or so max).

Main focus points when choosing a color scheme for a website: Contrast, Complementation, Color Variety (Triadic Scheme or Compound Scheme, or even Analogous).

True and it's also the most legible. White on black is bad.

well done transferring, pretty scary importing a whole forum :)